About APIC Consultants
APIC Consultants are leaders in every aspect of infection prevention. Located across the United States, APIC Consulting’s team of certified consultants will provide expert knowledge to address your organization’s unique needs and help advance your goals of patient safety. When you hire APIC Consulting, you work with a subject matter expert who is connected to a vast network of resources within APIC.
While our subject matter experts (SMEs) are primarily nurse infection preventionists, our list of SMEs include:
- Infection Preventionists CICs with advanced practice
- Nurses (RNs, BSNs)
- Public Health (MPH) or Dr.PH (Doctor of Public Health)
- MDs and PhDs
APIC Consultants meet the following criteria:
- Certified in infection control (CIC®) by the Certification Board of Infection Control and Epidemiology, Inc. (CBIC).
- Have at least 15 years of experience in infection prevention, with consultants averaging 20-35+ years of experience in the field.
- Hold academic degrees appropriate to the scope of work, including BSN, MPH, MBA, Ph.D., and Dr. P.H.
- Maintain a license in a clinical discipline as needed, including RN, MD, and MT(ASCP).
- Hold additional certifications with specialized expertise, as needed.
Most APIC Consultants have also acted as leaders, faculty members, and/or authors for APIC, including:
- Serving as leaders in APIC at the local chapter level, and also as committee chairs or members of the APIC Board of Directors, or as President.
- Teaching APIC’s gold standard EPI® or ASC courses, presenting educational webinars, presenting workshop sessions at APIC’s Annual Conference
- Authoring resources like APIC Implementation Guides, manuals or books, white papers, position statements, and public policy comments on proposed infection prevention and control regulations submitted to government agencies on behalf of the organization.
- Acting as spokespersons for the organization and the field of infection prevention within the media.
Sample APIC Consultant A
Years of experience in infection prevention: More than 40 years.
Areas of expertise: Outbreak Investigations, HAI Surveillance and Reporting, TB Control, Emerging Infections
Education: BS in Medical Technology, University of Michigan and MPH in Biostatistics and Epidemiology, University of Michigan
Current Position: Consultant, APIC Consulting Services, Consultant, Council of State and Territorial Epidemiologists – serving as a liaison between state/local health departments and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention on HAI issues
Previous: Director of the Bureau of Healthcare Associated Infections, Director of the HAI Reporting Program, Director of the Regional Epidemiology Program, and other positions focusing on the epidemiology, prevention and control of HIV infection, tuberculosis, HAIs and general communicable diseases
Leadership positions: Previously served as APIC Chapter President, APIC Chapter Chairman of the Board of Directors, member of the APIC Governmental Affairs Committee (National), APCI Public Policy Committee (National), APIC Practice Guidance Committee (National). Liaison Member of CDC’s Advisory Council for the Elimination of Tuberculosis (ACET) and Healthcare Infection Control Practices Advisory Committee (HICPAC)
Sample APIC Consultant B
Years of experience in infection prevention: Over 30 years’ experience in infection prevention
Areas of expertise: Surveillance program development, HAI surveillance and reporting, program assessment and planning, organizational infection risk assessment, outbreak investigation, education and training, mentoring
Education: MPH, Ohio State University, MS Management/Health Care Administration, West Virginia College of Graduate Studies, BS Alderson-Broaddus College
Current Position: Director of Infection Prevention and Employee Health at Charleston Area Medical Center, a Large, 4-hospital, tertiary medical center, along with multiple sites of ambulatory services in Charleston, WV
Leadership positions: Past President and board member, member or chair of many committees, including annual conference, education, and EPI training course revision committees. Past President and member of the Certification Board of Infection Control and Epidemiology (CBIC). Frequent speaker at APIC conferences, and currently a member of APIC’s EPI 101 Faculty, current member of the Board of Trustees for the International Federation of Infection Control (IFIC), member of HAI Multidisciplinary Advisory Group and the Infection Control Advisory Panel for the State of West Virginia.